Saturday, January 12, 2008

There is Nobility in Goodbyes

Sometimes, the best way to prove our love is to let our loved one go. I did that for you but you were so caught up in feelings of hatred to realize that.

Sometimes too, things are better left unexplained. Words unsaid are sometimes kinder. What we don't know can't hurt us, right?

"It is just so easy for you to let go," you accused bitterly. I looked away for fear of what you will see in my eyes . I remained silent because my throat was too constricted from trying not to cry. Silence was my only comfort, a warm cocoon that protects me from betraying myself.

Frustrated, you hollered, "So this is it? This is goodbye?" 

Goodbye. Just one word. A two syllable word and yet it was too difficult for me to say it. But for you, I gathered all my courage and muttered with false conviction. "Yes. A goodbye."

Your lips thinned. Your usual reaction when you are displeased, angry or frustrated. Then you looked away, let go of my hand and walked out on me. You did not even bother to look back. If you did, you would have seen me with tears streaming down my face.

Through my tears, I watched as my world shattered right before my very eyes. I smiled. Bitterly.

This was what I wanted. I knew I was doing this for the best. I just did not know that it would hurt this much.


====================
inspired by the lyrics of this song:


I try to say goodbye and I choke
I try to walk away and I stumble 
Though I try to hide it it's clear
My world crumbles when you are not near... 

- Macy Gray



Song Title: I Try
Artist: Macy Gray
Lyrics: http://www.completealbumlyrics.com/lyric/2775/Macy+Gray+-+I+Try.html
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTk2xp0nvY

No comments: