Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Friendship Beyond Time and Distance
















When was the last time we saw each other?
I cannot remember the exact date.
How many miles are you away from me?
I do not know.
Mountains and oceans and seas
And numerous countries are between us
But they do not matter because we know we are friends
And that is all we need to know
To continue caring for each other.
True friendship is that which is beyond time
Time does not cause a friendship’s downfall
But it does deepen it.
True friendship is also that which is beyond distance
We are apart, yes, but only physically
For in our minds and more so in our hearts
We keep each other and the memories that we have shared.
Our prayers go where the two of us cannot go
And so even if we cannot be together
We know that we reach each other through our prayers.
Hearts never cease to talk, they communicate for us
Time and distance are therefore not against us.
Come what may, my friend, I know our friendship stands
For it is not just a plain friendship that we share
But a true and endless one.






============
written in 2003 for a friend who went to Europe.




6 comments:

J said...

Aww... I love this! great job milai!

milai said...

Thanks. ;)

Story of a Girl said...

it's definately key that people keep emotionally close even though physically far...that's most important:) very sweet.

milai said...

@ Story of a Girl
Agree. :)

mariposa said...

Aw, what a great poem! It's so beautiful how time & distance don't matter with some friendships :)

Also, thanks commenting & the advice!

Nomand in No Man's Land said...

I love this poem :) its so sweet, and gives me hope for some of my friendships.