Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I am melancholic

You Have a Melancholic Temperament

Introspective and reflective, you think about everything and anything.
You are a soft-hearted daydreamer. You long for your ideal life.
You love silence and solitude. Everyday life is usually too chaotic for you.

Given enough time alone, it's easy for you to find inner peace.
You tend to be spiritual, having found your own meaning of life.
Wise and patient, you can help people through difficult times.

At your worst, you brood and sulk. Your negative thoughts can trap you.
You are reserved and withdrawn. This makes it hard to connect to others.
You tend to over think small things, making decisions difficult.

I created this blog just today and the first reactions that I have been getting from readers were, “Why name it melancholic? It sounds so dramatic!” I just smile because really, that is the point – to make this blog very much like my self.

Melancholic is one of the four temperaments (the three others being choleric, sanquine and phlegmatic). I am actually melancholic choleric (that requires a different blog) but I am melancholic by nearly 50% of my entire persona. I am pensive. I love to think. A lot. I can spend most of my day thinking about just anything. My solitude is very important to me. It is through the silence of my heart that I find my self.

Like a coin that has two sides, a melancholic has its downsides too. Often, I am construed to be moody, sensitive, worrying and a pessimist and loner. Sometimes, simple events are blown out of proportion because I tend to over analyze and read too much on some things.

It amuses me that people automatically think that there is something wrong in being melancholic. Seeing me quiet, some even go out of their way to cheer me up. I appreciate the concern but really, there is nothing wrong. This is just the way I am.

People assume that being melancholic qualifies me as depressed, not realizing that I also experience a wide array of emotions. My sense of humor exists and I can also be carefree. I am melancholic but human, much like everyone else so I also feel the same emotions, only at varying degrees.

Melancholy is not a disease to be cured. It is a healthy emotion, a normal state of being.

Melancholy is me.



====================
For more information about the melancholic temperament, its motivations, areas of interest, attributes (positive & negative), types & famous melancholics, please visit the link below:

http://www.ptypes.com/idealist.html

No comments: