Friday, October 3, 2008

Looking back

I recently turned twenty-five. Twenty-five years of living life. With a purpose. With joy. With as much zest as I can put in it.

I have this habit of doing a once-in-a-year cleanup of my treasure box. In it are my journals, letters and cards and other stuff. It’s a treasure trove that holds my important keepsakes and whose contents never fail to bring back smiles, sometimes tears and always, fondness.

And as I rummaged through my treasure box, I found this entry from one of my journals.


As I go through the events of my life, I realized that God was in each event I have had. With every smile, with every laughter, even with every tear and every pain, God was there. God was shaping me and my life, molding all that I was to become what I am now... to gradually become what He wanted me to be...

I am grateful to God for His gifts. I thank Him for each precious memory. Just remembering the happy moments of my life is a wonderful experience. Until now, just the memory of each moment still brings me smiles and warmth. God was in each happy moment but He was not just a spectator. He was the Great Planner and the Guiding Light of the events of my life. I may not be aware then of the wonders He was making in my life but now the joys I felt then are doubled for I know God was taking care of me.


Of course, there were times when I thought He was not with me. There were times I questioned if He was listening to me... if He was there for if He was, why was I in pain. There were times when I doubted Him. I thought He didn’t care. I thought He was neglecting me and my cries. But now, as I look back, I realized He never left me. I was able to surpass each trial because of Him and the graces He gave me. In the first place, He never did give me a trial too big for me to face and conquer. With every pain, I grew. With every doubt, my faith intensified. With every temptation, my resolve strengthened. With every acknowledgment of my weakness, He lifted me up.

And so I thank Him now for each trial and difficulties that ever came my way. Now I know why there were sacrifices and suffering in my life – with my struggles came a better me.

God was, is and will be in every phase of my life. He was with me from the moment He planned of creating me. He has already written my biography with His own mighty hand.

I may not know what lies ahead of me but I need not be afraid – God is there. He is here. God is in me. He is taking care of me. I am His child. He loves me. He knows and will give me what is best for me.

Life has its uncertainties but I have my assurance in my God.


==========
From my journal entry, written in 2003

6 comments:

J said...

This is great. and it is absolutely true God is always with you even when it seems like he isn't. easier said than lived, right? lol

mariposa said...

Wow, that is great. My journal entries are usually thoughts all mixed up, but yours is beautiful. (& thanks for the great comment!)

milai said...

@ j
yup, easier said than lived. i still have my daily struggles, you know... but then, who doesn't? :)

milai said...

@ mariposa
gee, thank you so much. some of my journal entries are pretty mixed up too. my posts there (and here in this blog) really depend on my current frame of mind and i do have my moments of having mixed-up thoughts. :)

you are welcome. your posts are thought-provoking, is why.

Story of a Girl said...

Love that you call it your treasure box. oh by the way...hope u had a great birthday. It is definately awesome to look at everything God's done in our life. And look at good and bad circumstance and be reminded that He was there, and still is with us:)

Faith said...

Love this!