Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Unsent Letter to a Friend

Dear __________,

Do you remember those times when you got hurt over family matters and nearly devastated over your failed relationships? You were so hurt that it also pained me to look at your wounded eyes. But you were too proud to cry. And so, together, we pondered over your worries. We traded laughter for tears and fought so hard to forget your pains.

Later, when we got home and we’re alone in our respective rooms, I worried so much about you. I especially worried about the tears you refused to cry. I wished you could let it all out, wished I could make you spill it out...


In the end, I cried for you. It was me who shed the tears you refused to cry. I cried and cried. I cried till I cursed the two of us. Till I cursed all of them.

Why do we always have to exude an aura of strength and dependability? Why does it always have to be us other people run to when they have problems? Why do they always turn to us for answers? Are we such good listeners? Do we dish our really good advice that they just keep coming back to us? Why can’t they see that we do have our own worries to address and monsters to battle with? If we’re such good “advisers,” how come we can’t fix our own problems?

Scrap the idea of being needed by others. It’s high time we address our own needs.

But darn! Why are we so proud to admit that we do have needs?

================
written when I was maybe 18. This was unfinished so I wasn’t able to send it out. I just saw it in my college notebook while I was organizing my things and since I still have the same questions, I decided to post it here.

Photo taken from here.

2 comments:

J said...

This is a great letter. Reminds me a lot of myself.

I loved these lines, “Why does it always have to be us other people run to when they have problems?” and “If we’re such good “advisers,” how come we can’t fix own problems?”

I always have advice for other people and I’m always there to listen to the problems of others and I have a whole list of issues that I have yet to deal with in my own life. Loved it, great job.

milai said...

Hopefully you will resolve your self-issues soon. I still have some of those and I am trying my best to come to grips with everything...

Maybe this is our gift that is sometimes a curse.